A November to Remember.
How would you like to win a pair of tickets to one of the Farewell Yellow Brick Road concerts at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Calfornia? That’s the grand prize being offered for those taking part in a Roblox scavenger hunt featuring the Troubadour club and other L.A. hotspots.
What’s more, through the 25th of November, thewebster (also in L.A.), in partnership with Bravado, has a pop-up at its newest location at the Beverly Center. If you’d like to have the scoop on the creation of the collection, tune in to their livestream on Tuesday at 1 p.m. PT.
More merchandise can be found at The Grove (yep, L.A. again) through 15 January, where there’s also a look at Elton’s legacy through his iconic eyewear.
From The Grove it’s on to Chase Field. . . . Elton appeared on Friday and Saturday night at this venue in Phoenix, Arizona. So the Arizona Republic‘s EdMasley decided to publish a compilation of his favourite EJ tunes, with Rocket Man topping his tally of 25 tracks.
I spent a month leading up to the Elton John concert binge-listening to his catalog to make this unabashedly subjective countdown of my picks for his best songs for @azcentral. I loved seeing @eltonofficial do so many faves last night at @ChaseField. https://t.co/tJUffFBQpa
— Ed Masley (@EdMasley) November 13, 2022
Hello magazine has come out with a ”kind” list, so it’s not surprising that Elton is cited. An example is how he restored Britney Spears‘ confidence by asking her to collaborate with him. Their hit, Hold Me Closer, has been Brits Certified Silver.
— BRIT Awards (@BRITs) November 4, 2022
David Furnish told Variety that Elton and Britney recorded Hold Me Closer in London and Los Angeles, respectively. They could well team up again, but this time they would be in the studio together.
David also said that Elton, who recently received a clean bill of health at his check-up, could wind up doing a residency after his tour. As for his final American engagements at Dodger Stadium, Elton will be wearing an outfit with elements of the original Bob Mackie costume.
- Britney isn’t the only entertainer whose life has changed for the better, thanks to Elton. Olly Alexander turned to Elton and Kyle Minogue for guidance as he struggled with fame. The Years and Years vocalist told the Evening Standard they supported and understood him when he wondered ”why the hell I’m here and doing what I’m doing.”
- On the 11th of November in London, the MusicWeek Women in Music Awards were held. Among the honorees was executive vice president of Universal Music UK Selina Webb, who won for Outstanding Contribution. One of Universal Music‘s most famous singers paid tribute via video.
— Universal Music UK (@UMusicuk) November 12, 2022
Elton said, ”Thank you so much for all you did for BRITS 2021. You were a fantastic co-chair and oversaw a show that none of us will ever forget.”
- Five years ago this week (17 November 2017), Elton’s collection of hits, Diamonds, was released.
Eltonofficial proudly pointed out that during that time, it hasn’t left the charts and has sold over a million copies in the States and UK.
Five years ago today I released Diamonds: The Ultimate Greatest Hits. In that time it’s sold over a million copies in the UK & US, hasn’t left the charts & become one of my most successful albums!
— Elton John (@eltonofficial) November 11, 2022
- Elton is also proud of The Lion King. Sunday marked its 25th anniversary on Broadway, and three days prior, Elton sang Can-you-feel-the-love-tonight on ABC‘s Good Morning America.
- By the way, you know that Roblox scavenger hunt mentioned at the start of this digest? A picture disc version of Diamonds is included in the grand prize of Dodger Stadium concert tickets as well as two Dodger ’75 eyeglass frames from Elton John Eyewear.
- Perhaps the idea came from Elton, but Dolly Parton is about to release a greatest hits collection with a similar title: Diamonds & Rhinestones. At any rate, Elton has been on her mind lately. Besides revealing that she becomes starstruck when talking to Elton, Mick Jagger, or Debbie Harry, the 76-year-old says she’d like to have the piano player on her next album–which will consist of rock songs. Ahead of her recent Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, Dolly explained that this is to be a tribute to her husband Carl Dean, who is a huge fan of rock music. Elton and Dolly have performed together before–at the CMA Awards in 2005.
Joni Mitchell also hopes to release an album. She told Elton as much when she appeared on his latest rocket-hour show. That would be from her surprise performance at this summer’s Newport Folk Festival.
And looking ahead to the next MT . . . You can expect items about another festival, an auction, and lots more!
Meal Ticket is published Mondays and Thursdays. Be sure to subscribe to the EJW newsletter so you don’t miss them! It’s free to sign up!